Multiples of a Number in python
Multiple of any given number can be determined by following basic rules.
Suppose we need to extract a multiple of a given number x and require to find n multiples for x.
Here is a list of n multiples for a given number x
X*1, X*2, x*3 .. X*n
Example: X = 6 N = 5 Multiples : 6, 12, 18, 24, 30
We will strongly recommend you to first try to write a program to generate multiples as explained above.
Now we will explore how to generate multiples of a number in python. Let's start to learn in the following step-by-step manner.
Scroll for More Useful Information and Relevant FAQs
- Print multiples of a given number using while loop
- Find multiples of a number using range function and for loop
- Check if the number is multiple of m in python
- Find multiple of any given number in the list & range of numbers
- Feedback: Your input is valuable to us. Please provide feedback on this article.
Print multiples of a given number using while loop
For demonstration purposes, we will see the following program to print multiples of 5 in python using while loop
def getMultiples(num, number_of_multiples): i = 1 while i <= number_of_multiples: print(num*i) i += 1 getMultiples(5, 5);
Result: 5 10 15 20 25
- Created function getMultiples function to generate number_of_multiples for given number num.
Running while loop until indexing variable it meets condition
i <= number_of_multiples
- Call getMultiples to get a list of multiples of 5.
Find multiples of a number using range function and for loop
Let's understand with the following example of printing multiples of 3 using the range.
def getMultiples(num, number_of_multiples): for i in range(1, (number_of_multiples+1)): print(num*i) getMultiples(3, 5);
Result: 3 6 9 12 15
- Here the range function is constructed with the start value as 1 (inclusive) and stop value as
number_of_multiples+1(exclusive) so that the for loop can iterate from 1 to number_of_multiples times.
- Executing a for loop over a range of specified values
- Multiply loop index by num and print to get desired multiples as shown above.
Check if the number is multiple of m in python
To ensure whether a given number is multiple of m we need to check if that number is divisible by m or not.
So for this purpose, we will check the use of the Python modulo operator (%) to calculate the remainder of a division. We can mark m as multiple of a given number If the remainder is zero.
Below example to check if a given number is a multiple of 5 in Python
def isMultiple(num, check_with): return num % check_with == 0; # Check if number is multiple of 3 if (isMultiple(10, 3) == True ): print("10 is multiple of 3"); else: print("10 is not multiple of 3"); # Check if number is multiple of 5 if (isMultiple(15, 5) == True ): print("15 is multiple of 5"); else: print("15 is not multiple of ");
Result: 10 is not multiple of 3 15 is multiple of 5
Here is what the above code means:
num % check_with == 0 return
True if num is divisible by check_with that means remainder is zero otherwise will return
Find multiple of any given number in the list & range of numbers
Here is the code demonstrates to find multiples of 3 in list and range as below:
def isMultiple(num, check_with): return num % check_with == 0; print ("Multiples of 3 in the range are :") for i in range(1, 10): if (isMultiple(i, 3) == True ): print(i); print ("Multiples of 3 in the list are :") nums = [50, 11, 32, 23, 18, 91, 90, 12] for j in nums: if (isMultiple(j, 3) == True ): print(j);
Result: Multiples of 3 in the range are : 3 6 9 Multiples of 3 in the list are : 18 90 12
- Created function isMultiple as described in the previous example.
- Loop through a range of numbers and pass a range of numbers to isMultiple to check if divisible by 3 or not. Printed if divisible.
- Loop through list nums and check if divisible by 3 bypassing each list element to isMultiplefunction and print that meets the condition.